Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Journey Begins...

HELLO MY FELLOW PALADINS!  AND WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL FURMAN FRESHMEN BLOG!

Yes, ALL CAPS. Because that's just how excited I am! It feels amazing to begin my freshmen year doing one of the things that I had longed to do and anticipated to come my way. And now that I'm finally here, I feel exuberant.

To begin with, my name is Bhavya Sharma (yes, I like to be Captain Obvious), and I hail from India. I have lived in India for the past 17 years, but I have traveled a lot. I absolutely love to travel and explore new places!

And since I am no good at introductions, I shall commence right away.

I got the opportunity to move into my dorm room at Furman earlier than most other freshmen, as I was one of the 30 international students, and that is how it all began - my life at Furman University.
Wow, I do make it sound like a fairy tale. But really, sometimes it does feel like one (minus the challenging classes and homework).

And here is my list of things that came my way as I transitioned into my life at Furman:

#5. INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ORIENTATION :

The International Student Orientation began from the 14th of August, and I still remember the day that I nervously walked into the Watkins Room, wondering what it was all about.
And now, I do know that - it was all about fun activities and games, meeting new people, meeting our very lovely international orientation assistants, and the beginning of what we'd call "Noodle Parties".


                                               
Noodle Party - WOOT WOOT!

How I Met...My Orientation Assistants


# 4. ASBURY HILLS :

For the second half of the orientation, all the freshmen and the orientation assistants got the chance to go to Asbury Hills, and my, was that amusing!

                                         
Something that I would NEVER try
                 
Asbury Hills- Creek

S'mores + Ghostly Stories = No Sleep


Mr. Boots at Asbury Hills

I had an AMAZING time! While my lack of athletic abilities did interfere with my engagement in some activities, nevertheless, I had a great time with everyone! The late-night card games, the non-stop chatting, the s'mores-making-and-telling-ghostly-stories and the beautiful location - Ah, these things, I will cherish forever!

# 3. THE PASSIONATE SERENADES :

Okay, that is totally sarcastic.
And I'll tell you why in a while.

                                                           
They had us at...whatever they were singing

So, it's basically a tradition at Furman for the boys to come serenade the girls at night. Sounds romantic?
It is.

But, wait. There is more! I loved the tradition, I loved the setting...and I really tried loving their singing, but I couldn't. The entire time, I couldn't control laughing as the boys would TRY to sound melodious and synchronize their singing, only to end up sounding, um, all the more...not-so-melodious.
But it really is the gesture that counts! Furman gentlemen, good job, indeed, at sweeping the ladies off their feet.

# 2. IT'S A BUSY, BUSY CAMPUS

No, really, it is!  

                                             
CARNIVAL TIME!

Cultural Life Program-Diversity According to 'South Park' And 'Family Guy'
                 

With a ton of stuff going around all the time, I never get the time to get bored!

# 1. I CALL IT HOME

It started off as a mere activity, grew up on me as days passed and became an obsession - decorating my dorm room. I am pretty sure I have spent hours making my room look the way it does.

                                               

Oh, and CAUTION : Sudden real-time exposure to the luminous and bizarre colors in my room might lead to temporary loss of vision. 

So, there it is, MY LIFE AT FURMAN, so far (so great!).
It would be my absolute pleasure to answer any questions that you might have about what it's like to be here, or if you would just like to know about my experience, in general.

Until my next post,

Warm Pala-love,
Bhavya Sharma







No comments:

Post a Comment