Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Academic Success

Furman is known for its academic rigor.  This can be exciting and slightly terrifying as an incoming freshman.  And six weeks into the school year, with a few tests and a paper under my belt, I can confidently say that Furman academics are doable.  My classes are certainly challenging and demanding, but they are not impossible.  The biggest difference between high school and Furman is the amount of work outside of class.  With classes meeting 2 or 3 days a week, a lot of reading and preparation takes place outside of class.  This work outside of class can be a little daunting, but at the same time, having such a flexible schedule is so liberating.  Studying can be in the library if I'm feeling really studious, or by Furman lake if it's a beautiful day, or at a quaint coffee shop off campus if I need a change of scenery. 

Another great aspect about Furman academics is the availability of academic help, which I have taken advantage of in my few weeks here.  Before my calculus test, I took all the questions about concepts that I didn't fully understand to the Math Help Lab.  The Math Help Lab is open the afternoons and evenings Sunday through Thursday and is staffed by math majors ready to answer your questions.  Thanks to the Math Help Lab and lots of studying, I made an A on my first calculus test!  Furman also has a Writing Lab whose staff proofread my paper and helped me work through some awkward sentence structures and suggested stronger verbs. 

My professors have also been extremely helpful during their office hours, answering my questions and re-explaining things I didn't understand in class.  None of my professors are intimidating, and they genuinely want to get know me.  That's certainly a plus to a small college!

And now, I have to go study for my chemistry test! 

As always if you have any questions, email me at laura.woodside@furman.edu!

No comments:

Post a Comment