Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Little Things

Yet again another busy week full of fun times, studying, and new opportunities has past. I can't believe it's already October. We're already almost halfway through our first semester of our freshman year!
While walking around this beautiful campus, I often think about how I ended up here at Furman. Just one small decision and my life could be completely different now. However, I'm so confident with my decision to attend Furman. Often I think it's the little things that make the biggest different. This past week, I have really come to appreciate the little things that Furman has to offer.
I had a big chemistry test on Monday, which meant that I spent most of the weekend studying. I definitely appreciate the multiple venues Furman has for studying. Whether you choose to study inside or outside, there are always ample choices on campus. I found a great resource this past week called CATALYST. It stands for Chemistry Assistance and Tutoring At Late (Yikes!) Stressful Times. Every Sunday-Thursday night from 7:00-9:00 pm there are upperclassmen chemistry students who stay in the science building to help answer questions and give feedback and advice to new chemistry students. I went on Sunday night to ask a few last minute questions before my test and I found it to be very helpful.
Another thing I appreciate about Furman is the fun opportunities on the weekends. Furman students are encouraged to participate in campus events and activities on the weekends. Last Saturday was a Dance Marathon that was brought to Furman by a few upperclassman working on a project through the Shucker Leadership Institute. The event lasted from 2:00 pm-1:00 am. Each hour there were different dance related activities and the money raised went to the Greenville Children's Hospital. I volunteered at the Shucker Leadership station and made pancakes for guests. The event was a lot of fun for everyone and it was for a good cause!
Shannon and I taking swing dancing lessons at the Dance Marathon

We did have one pretty rainy day last week. I woke up to leave for my 8:30 am chemistry class and noticed that it was pouring rain. By the time I got to class nearly everything I was wearing and everything in my backpack was soaking wet. However, the weather cleared up in the afternoon, and it turns out that Furman is still beautiful even in the rain.

In my opinion, one of the best things about Furman is the number of families that come to visit. Every weekend families from around Greenville come to share our beautiful campus. Children ride their bikes around the lake, couples walk their dogs, kids feed the ducks, and sometimes you will even see a bride taking wedding photos by the lake. Seeing how people come to visit our campus really makes me appreciate the fact that I get to live here for the next four years.
In addition to the families visiting campus, Furman also had a visit from Brett Eldredge this week! On Wednesday night there was a Brett Eldredge concert at the Furman Ampitheatre. Tickets were only $5 for students and the concert was a blast. The weather was perfect and Brett Eldredge made the experience very personal. He even complimented us on our beautiful campus.




Family weekend is just around the corner! I'm looking forward to showing my family my campus and everything I'm involved.

Questions? Please e-mail me at kjersti.kleine@furman.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment