Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Theatre and Soup

It has been one of those weeks I wouldn't add to my freshmen scrapbook, if I was the kind of person inclined to scrapbook. My roommate has had bronchitis, but this took second fiddle to her boyfriend of three years when on Friday night a 103 degree fever and vomiting forced our hand- we took him to the emergency room, where he was told he had pneumonia. All of this after midnight on Friday night. He feels much better now, after sleep, soup, and a particularly strong antibiotic. It seems that it's just that time of year though- most people I know are either sick or getting sick. Which leaves me wondering how I have managed (so far)- knock on wood- to stay healthy. We learn in elementary school that when we touch each other's toys and sneeze or cough without covering our mouth and nose that we spread germs, yet when we reach college we kiss and share sodas and snacks and squeeze four people onto one couch to watch a movie with reckless abandon, cursing whatever deity we ascribe to when students of an entire discipline seem to succumb to whatever bug is going around. For my part, I will simply be thankful if my share of the germs (as I too kiss and share food and squeeze into close spaces with reckless abandon) will hold off until after midterms. Now really....is that too much to ask?

On a lighter note, I could not be prouder of my own department of choice for putting on two fabulous shows this weekend- both of which I was fortunate enough to attend. Gruesome Playground Injuries was one of those heart breaking, gut wrenching stories that you cannot quite leave behind in the theatre space, that seems to trail you wherever you go, a shadow of your own pain, your own loss. It was remarkable to feel something so deeply, coerced into believing wholeheartedly that the cruel fate of these two young people was something worth watching, and the cast members should be so very proud. Equally enjoyable in its own right, Company was lighter in its delivery, though still debatably dark in its themes. The Pauper Players all have those magnificent voices that do justice to a Sondheim classic, and they should all be equally proud of their performances. Being in rehearsal every night for Pomp and Circumstance, I can only aspire to do as much justice to my role as my classmates have done to theirs.

Well, I have an exam on theatre basics and a quiz on Lewis Structures and elemental properties tomorrow, so I bid you all adieu until next time!

The entire talented cast of Company!

How can anyone be the reason another person lives?
One of many great moments from GPI.

No comments:

Post a Comment