Sunday, September 22, 2013

Living the camp life - Rinker Mountain Retreat Part 1

This was the first time in my life that a weekend felt really long.
And that is chiefly because after a long time, I spent my weekend in a very productive way.

Since I am a part of Engaged Living (Finding Your Life Purpose), I was provided the opportunity to go on a retreat to Asbury Hills this weekend! It was truly enjoyable, just as much as it was intellectually stimulating.

I went with a group of five other students, as well as Furman faculty members.
While it started out as a camping trip, it became more of a source of unwinding for me, especially since we stayed in an accommodation that could compete with just about any boutique hotel.

The retreat was an attempt to make us contemplate deeper questions about our existence, and basically, to ask ourselves what the world needs from us.

The retreat comprised five parts :

# 1. Systems for Sustainability -
This program was an attempt to make us realize how every system on earth consisted of elements that are interdependent, and how everything moves in a virtuous or vicious cycle. If a cycle could balance the negative and the positive elements, it would be termed as a "balancing loop", otherwise, it would be called a "reinforcing loop".

#2. Morning Meditation - Plant A Plant- 
                                   
My Plant - Chives

The next morning, as a part of morning meditation, we planted a plant. The basic concept behind it was that it would be a chance for us to learn to take care of our surroundings, and learn our responsibility for environmental sustainability.

#3. The Vocational Story of Yancey Fouche -
Yancey Fouche works in the Shi Center for Sustainability at Furman, and a part of the Rinker Retreat was that we would get to hear her journey through life.
Her story was inspiring for me, as it was for everyone else, since  it talked about how unpredictable life can be, in terms of where one ends up working, but how, in the end, we find our vocation and everything falls in place.

#4. Nature Art And Reflection - 
This was the most fun part!
We all were asked to go around looking for anything in the nature that we could find - leaves, flowers, twigs, grass, rocks - and get creative with it!

I really enjoyed listening to the concepts behind everyone's art, especially since each and every piece was simply breathtaking!

#5. Reflections -
The last part of the retreat involved us sharing what all we learnt on the trip.
What we all learnt was that we were going to part with some indelible memories that we would cherish for years to come!

Oh, and not to forget, here is a picture of where I stayed -
                                        

Doesn't look like a camp cabin, now, does it?

Other than that, we did what a good camper would never forget to do - we made s'mores!
                             
My fellow campers making s'mores

The Rinker Mountain Retreat was more than just a retreat for me. It gave me a chance to reflect on the three essential questions that are put before us in our lives (and in our class, of course) - Who am I, most authentically? What do I believe in, most deeply? What does the world need from me?

And while I could not find the answers to all those questions, I was able to discover what the world needed from me, and what made me who I am today.

I hope you all are having a marvelous weekend as well! 

Until my next post,
Warm Love
Bhavya
      




No comments:

Post a Comment