Sunday, September 22, 2013

Organized Chaos

This week was a fairly stressful week for most. Many people had several tests and papers due. As everything is settling down and falling into place, people are finding their daily routines, their favorite places to study, their most productive times of day, and their favorite classes and professors. One thing I have recently figured out is that I am becoming a morning person. The strange thing is that almost every other student on campus is the opposite. I have found that my most productive time of day is the morning. Perhaps it is because almost everyone else on campus is asleep, so I know I am not missing out on anything fun. This becomes most important on Saturday and Sunday mornings. While other students sleep in until the early afternoon, or sometimes later, I am awake. This brings great opportunities for quality study time. My favorite place on campus to study is in Plyer Hall at the tables by the big window. Off campus, however, is The Forest Coffeehouse in Traveler's Rest. They have delicious coffee, big tables, and student discounts. On Saturday morning I went to The Forest Coffeehouse to catch up on some homework. Greenville has a lot of coffee shoppes that are great for studying. Sometimes it is nice to study off campus to escape the mid-week stressful vibes in the library. Although there are also hundreds of great places to study on campus.

One of my favorite study companions

On Sunday, my friend Shannon invited me to the JCrew factory store in Asheville, NC. When I agreed to join her and two other friends, I was not aware of what I was getting into. We arrived at 9:45 am to a line that wrapped around the parking lot. An hour later and we were still in line waiting. Clearly whatever was inside was going to be worth it due to the rapidly growing line of people. Finally at 11:00 am we made it into the warehouse. Inside we were each handed a trash bag as well as a list of prices. All dresses were $15, shirts were $10, sweaters were $15, belts were $5, and hair accessories were $1. There were rows and rows of cardboard boxes overflowing with colorful cashmere bundles and an assortment of leather boots, dresses, and swimsuits. Pieces of clothing were flying as shoppers were digging into the boxes and tossing items into their garbage bags. I had never seen anything like it. It was certainly chaotic.

I would call this unorganized chaos

After just over an hour of shopping, the four of us were ready to make our final decisions. We found some great items for great prices. The wait was definitely worth it. Afterwards, we went to Tupelo Honey Cafe to enjoy some delicious Southern food.



This week was definitely a chaotic one, but if you manage your time, your life won't get as crazy as a JCrew Factory Warehouse sale. My new life is organized chaos. There is always a new and exciting opportunity, like attending a Mere Christianity Forum led by my philosophy professor, or meeting with a Reformed University Fellowship small group for dinner, or attending an etiquette dinner with the Shucker Leadership Institute, or going shopping at the JCrew Fall Warehouse Sale. Balancing all of these great activities with classes and a social life is crazy, but I couldn't ask for anything better from my University. College is about digging your heels into new and interesting topics and taking advantage of new opportunities. Although life can get a little chaotic at times, as long as you stay organized the chaos can only help your college experience!

Kjersti.kleine@furman.edu
Contact me with any questions, comments, or requests!

No comments:

Post a Comment